Saturday, April 19, 2014

Jordan - Jerash

Before going to Jordan I had no idea how many Roman ruins there are there. It's astounding to see half a Roman city surrounded by a modern-day one. If you go to Jordan, you really must see Jerash (12 JOD/$16.95). You need at least 3 hours if you plan to take in the gladiator show.


Hadrian's Arch (built 129 AD)






Roman Forum again with friend for scale


The Forum was seriously massive.


What remains of the never completed Temple to Artemis


We could still see the grooves from chariot wheels.


Just me, hanging out in the old marketplace. 



We watched the Roman Army and Chariot Experience (12 JOD/$16.95) at the hippodrome.

The legionaries demonstrated Roman fighting techniques which were quite interesting. The chariot race left something to be desired. One of the charioteers couldn't get his horses under control. Both charioteers looked absolutely terrified the entire time; I don't blame them. 


The legionnaire that held my friend's hand.
Jordanians are a really friendly bunch.


1 comment:

  1. I really like the pictures. I would love to see all of this . I like the picture of you. Glad you had a great time .

    ReplyDelete