Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Carnoustie

So I didn't put much stock in people's reactions to my trip to Scotland. I ignored them when they told me Glasgow was a bore for anyone not interested in crazy warehouse parties or shopping. I was hesitant but interested when numerous people, including a Downtown Patrol Officer, suggested Oban. And now I'm in Carnoustie where several people scoffed and asked why the hell I'd come if I'm not interested in golf. Sometimes... it's best to listen to people when they know what they're talking about.

There is nothing inherently wrong with this town. Crime, I am told, is very low. There is a grocery store and pub about half a mile away. There are numerous shops and restaurants just a bit farther. But where Oban was small and charming, Carnoustie just feels like sprawl. The neighborhood I'm staying in is bordered by fields and the sea. Here's a look at what I see during my dog-walking. 

Fields

Fields and Sea

The neighborhood by night. 

My captors

The weird thing about this place is that I often hear gunfire in the distance. There's a military outpost of some sort about a mile away. They seem to practice quite a lot. The dogs aren't bothered by this for some reason. 

1 comment:

  1. I like the fields . and the dogs look like they are happy. mom

    ReplyDelete